Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Kendaliers Sing-a-Long Exemplifies Life at Kendal

After hearing the Kendaliers sing on the evening of December 19, I decided to write my blog using the occasion as an example of one of the qualities that makes life at Kendal so special.  As a part of my preparation I asked another resident who had taken pictures that night if he would be kind enough to email pictures so I might include one in my blog.  Typical of the sort of answer that you get when you make such a request here, he said that he would gladly.  He sent me a group of pictures so I could make a choice.

Then I discovered that another of the Kendal bloggers, Reed Browning, had written a blog about the Kendaliers.  Upon reviewing it I found that his excellent description of the event provided the  perfect background for my observations.  Since we were going to have a double take on the event, I decided it was worthy of more than one picture and so published three as a separate blog.

Now as to what struck me in addition to all that Reed reported.  What I noted first of all was that it was a packed house.  Attendance was far in excess of that of the other seasonal things on our calenda. We filled all of our folding chairs.  Then we dragged additional chairs out of the adjacent dining room and library.  The lobby was filled and people were seated down the halls in both directions as well as in the library.  Those arriving at the last minute had to either sit on the floor or stand.

What brought out the largest crowd we've had for any of the other seasonal events?  I believe it was the fact that it was that special thing about Kendal.  The Kendaliers were made up of both residents and staff.  That's what is so special about Kendal.  It's the way that the residents and the staff relate to one another.  We work together on committees.  We plan and carry out special events together.  We see each other as individuals who matter.  We respect one another.  We are on a first name basis.  We care about each other. We do it in so many ways.  And so when we had a Christmas concert and sing-a-long we wanted to be there all at the same time in so far as it was possible.

It's one of the reasons I give thanks that I chose to come live at Kendal at Granville.

No comments:

Post a Comment