Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Fitness at Kendal at Granville


Fitness at Kendal at Granville

Pick up any article on being fit as you age and it’s sure to put exercise at the top of the list or very close to top.  Here at Kendal at Granville we have many ways to exercise in order to maintain our fitness as we grow older.  Paved walkways throughout our campus make walking or running easy. and pleasant. In addition a hiking trail has been developed for those who enjoy exploring the grassy wooded area including our pond.  It is even possible to arrange to put a boat in the pond and exercise your arms by rowing.

One advantage of our large community building is that when the weather is inclement there are ample halls where we can walk – much more convenient than going to a mall to walk.
Our community building also has a large well-equipped fitness room and a beautiful pool.  The pool is open from seven in the morning to eleven at night.   

Twice daily our Kendal TV channel broadcasts an exercise class which allows  resident sto exercise in the privacy and convenience of their own residence.

We are also blessed to have Diane, our Fitness Coordinator, who conducts water exercises daily, works one on one in the fitness room giving individualized guidance in the use of the equipment and help with personal exercise/therapy routines.  Since I am blind and cannot see to set the various machines to suit my personal needs, I greatly appreciate the fact that she makes it possible for me to continue to use the equipment there.
 
Diane also offers a number of exercise classes on a weekly basis.  These include Pilates, Senior Wellness, Y9ga (with chair support), and Seated Strength and Stretch.
In addition we have a Physical Therapy Department to which we may be referred for specific therapy when it is needed.  This department provides general physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech therapy.
 Following major surgery several years ago I benefitted from the services of the PT department during my month long stay in the Health Center skilled nursing area.  I found the therapists competent, dedicated, and understanding of my individual needs.  They also made therapy fun even though it was hard work at times to do the things I needed to do to make a full recovery.
 More recently I found myself making use of their services once more.  Following a f al I had pain in my legs and feet which caused me to shuffle along rather than pick up my feet. I also needed additional pain medication.  With their assessment and program of therapy I am back to walking as I should and have discontinued to the added pain medication. 
 
Beyond a doubt all of the exercise opportunities here contribute to our overall fitness.  I would wager that if someone were to try to guess the ages of many of our residents they would miss the mark because so many of us take advantage of our opportunities to remain fit.
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment