Sunday, July 19, 2015

Why I Chose Cendal at Granville

Both personal and professional factors entered into my decision to choose Kendal at Granville as my “retirement” home.  It was the professional factors which made me choose Kendal and the personal factors that made me choose the Kendal at Granville.

The professional factors affecting my choice were intertwined with my career as a nurse educator.   Teaching geriatric nursing was a part of my practice as a nurse.  Living in a Philadelphia suburb as I did, I couldn’t help being aware of the fine reputation of the nearby Kendal communities and what they were doing to transform the care of the aging.  I was familiar with what they were doing to free people from restraints, both physical and chemical – something I had advocated for some time.  I also was aware that Kendal was working to improve the quality of care by setting standards and establishing accreditation of institutions caring for the aged. Parallel experience in nursing gave me first hand experience of the role of accreditation initiatives in bringing about improvements in nursing education. 

Knowing the reputation for the quality of life as a Kendal resident, Kendal efforts to free patients from restraints, and what they were doing to improve standards of care of the aging convinced me Kendal would be a good choice.  Having made that choice I had to decide which Kendal.

After my husband died in1995 the trip back to my home state of Ohio grew longer and longer each time I made it to visit my son and his family in Lancaster, Ohio and my stepson and his family in Lima, Ohio.  As my young granddaughter in Lima told me, “Grandma, I like to visit you, but I don’t like making the long trip.”   I could see the writing on the wall.  If I wanted to be closer to family so I could be a part of their lives, I would need to find a Kendal or something akin to it in Ohio.  I   could scarcely believe it when I learned there was a Kendal being built in Granville, Ohio which was only a thirty minute drive from my son’s home in Lancaster.           

Looking back over my life here since July 2005   I believe my choice of Kendal at Granville was one of the best decisions I have made in my 88 years.  I have no regrets and I should add that my family members are thankful not only that I am nearby but also in a place where they don’t have to worry about me.  My grandsons have loved coming to visit me and take advantage of our wonderful pool.  They also have enjoyed eating here with me frequently.  Now that they have gone off to college and so no longer visit me frequently I am grateful that for the past ten years I have been close enough to have been more involved in their lives.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment