Saturday, December 5, 2015

Thanksgiving 2015 at Kendal at Granville

What a great Thanksgiving holiday we had at Kendal! Last year we were invited to join family in St. Louis, and we dutifully made the trek. This year we were again invited there, and also to relatives in New Jersey, but on November 9, I came down with a cold that quickly morphed into bronchitis, and it soon became evident that I wasn't going to be fit to travel, so we resigned ourselves to stay home and join the festive dinner here if I felt better.

I fully recovered from my illness just before the holiday so we went to dinner and we weren't disappointed at all! The dining room was decorated in colorful tablecloths and napkins, We had traditional turkey and stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, and pumpkin pie, but there were several other choices available, too. All of it was prepared perfectly and we thoroughly enjoyed the dinner. The food was fantastic.

But then, come to think of it, it's fantastic at almost EVERY meal and that was one of the reasons my wife and I moved here last year. It's not only the food but the opportunity to join other residents and engage in lively and interesting conversation. Rarely do we talk about our aches and pains, which is stuff no one else really wants to hear anyway. I call that kind of conversation an “organ recital.” “Oh, my spleen really bothered me last night...hah!”

No, we talk about current events, personal experiences, fashions, science, books, movies, sports, business, and a variety of interesting topics. And if the subject at one moment doesn't interest you, wait a few minutes and we'll be onto something else.

There are so many well-educated and knowledgeable people here in so many different areas, everyone has a story to tell, and that's what makes Kendal a special place. I've liked everyone I've met here, and I really look forward to meal time in the dining room.

No comments:

Post a Comment